Monday, November 14, 2016

Kids and Chores

BJ and I have been struggling to find a consistent approach to giving Oliver and Brynn more responsibilities. I really want them to understand the value of money and how to live within their means since that is something that BJ and I have both struggled with. Obviously, I don't expect them to fully grasp it now, but I thought if we could at least get them thinking about it now, they will have more questions and we can guide them through it.

I came up with the "post it" system that will hopefully work. I made a chart of six different chores written on post-its that they were able to pick themselves. They will be responsible for those chores the entire week and then switch. They then get a quarter for each chore they complete.

Yesterday, they were very agreeable to this and I'm hoping that they will continue that atitude. My problem is that I am going to expect it to be happy time but in reality I am going to face some resistence. I've already talked to BJ about needing his support in this because if I'm the only one requiring they complete their chores, it's not going to last. Which is what has happened so many other times I tried to enforce any sort of responsibilities on them. He was in agreement and I hope it continues.

Dear God, Allow us to be patient in this teaching moment for the kids. Help us to guide them and not expect perfection initially but expect growth and acceptance of responsibilities from the kids. Help me to remember I do not have to do everything just because I want it just so. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment