Monday, July 18, 2016

Friendships

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

I have never been the greatest at friendships. I honestly don't know if it's on my end or their's. Time too easily can get away from me. I know of one elementary friendship that has lasted, two high school friendships that have lasted, two college friendships, and one PTA school friendship that has withstood time. I don't know if this is sad or not, but my longest friendships have been with my cousins.

Maybe it's because I grew up with five sisters and had cousins really close in age that I just felt like I didn't really need a whole lot of friends. Since graduating college, I've been more selective on who I allow into my life. I'm not a perfect person so I don't feel like I need people that would judge me because of that.

There are friendships I have now that I pray I never lose. Those are the people that I could trust with anything and would do anything for. The people I can really count on. These relationships have made me a better person and have made me want to continue to better myself. You come to the realization that not all friendships stand the test of time. And while this is a sad realization, it's a part of relationships, there's a beginning and an end.

Over this last weekend, I was able to spend time with my two of my closest friends. And yes, they are my cousins. It was great getting to catch up with them without any distractions. This was actually the first time we had gone on vacation together. Usually we would just meet up for a night at one's house or try to meet up randomly on holidays or tailgates. Since getting married, it's been harder to coordinate the holidays where we will all be attending. So in a nutshell, it was so nice to get away and be focused on each other.

One thing I love about getting together with these girls is that there is no awkwardness. We pick up where we left off every time. We have so much history with each other and yet we have new passions that we discuss. It's frienships like this that I want to keep around, another reason why I can be picky about who I chose to keep in my life.

God has given me some pretty amazing people in my life. People that make me want to be a better woman, mother, wife, christian. I hope that I have been that friend to them.

Dear God, thank you so much for bringing such an amazing group of people into my life. Help us to build each other up and show others love the way You have intended it. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment