Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year Resolution Reality

Even if you hate resolutions there's always something you hope for in the coming year. Whether it's in your work, your family, or within yourself, there are goals to be made and dreams to pursue.

My personal "resolution" is to find peace in each day. In 2018 I felt flustered quite a bit and it seemed to snowball from one aspect of my life to another where I could never find my peace. I really want to focus on quieting my worries and finding my peace for 2019.

The problem I have with resolutions is that I expect them to be perfected as of January 1. Not just by myself either but by my entire family. If I'm expected to find my peace then by golly, my husband should know to read my mind and my kids should know to behave. Mommy needs her peace, dang it!

In reality, this is not even close. I was plenty irritated today by different members of my family at different times throughout the day but as I waited for the girls to get done with their shower, I allowed myself some serious pondering on what my expectations should be for finding my sense of peace. I realized that I cannot expect my family to be on the same level with me at all times. It's more about how am I going to approach those moments where peace is hiding? How am I going to handle my three year old's temper tantrums when all I want is for her to get into bed?

The hardest realization I have when it comes to change is that not everyone will change with me. I need to change myself first and then maybe, others will follow suit. I can't want it to happen over night. I need to be intentional and I need to remind myself to find my peace until it becomes automatic.

Good luck in the next 364 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment