Monday, May 9, 2016

Always Needing to Talk.....

I thought to myself today, why do I feel the need to share? Why do I feel like people need to know certain things going on? Is it a way for me to process things better? Is it a way for me to get a reaction? Is it to justify my reaction?

I honestly don't know...

In my head it always sounds so much better, too. It's all a story to me. Sometimes I give a little more drama to it to see if people respond differently. Or, I add in or take out pieces of information to make it more relevant. And I know others do this as well.

I remember being told a story more than 5 years ago about a woman that had named her baby "La-ah" and when no one could pronounce it correctly, she would fire back "it's La-dash-ah". I heard that exact same story just this last year. It's almost like an Urban Legend. Is it possible that this woman just happened to be at the same two clinics where the people I heard it from were? Were the people I heard it from visiting the same clinic at two different times? Who knows.

So why do we do this? It is to prevent the "I heard it from this person who heard it from this person" start to a story? Is it to make it more relevant to ourselves? To feel more of a connection to a story that's not even all that great but does certainly get a reaction? This story, in both situations, led to a conversation of how ridiculous some names are becoming. Did someone seriously name their child "La-ah" with honest intentions that people would get the pronunciation? Or maybe someone realized it was a real conversation starter and just wanted to break the ice.

Who knows why we do the things that we do. I really want to talk about my gossiping topic right now, but I will refrain. I'm trying to keep my gossip to a minimum.

Dear God, help me to keep my mind strong and my tongue silent. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment